Baby’s First Baldpate Adventure — Chip’s Version

 Here’s Chip’s Baldpate adventure told in his own words:

Hi, I’m Chip. I just turned one, and I’m already a professional adventurer. At least, that’s what I told Lucy when she gave me a funny look at the trailer. She whinnied and paced, but I was like, “Chill, there’s grass here.”

When we arrived at Baldpate, I hopped out ready for action. Parking lot? Cool. Plastic grid under my hooves? Also cool. Humans staring at me? Whatever. Grass everywhere? YES PLEASE.

Meeting the Crew

Then Hannah and Taylor showed up with Merlin. I marched right up like, “Hi, I’m Chip!” No squealing, no drama. Merlin seemed fine with me. The humans kept saying I was “mannerly.” I don’t know what that means, but I assume it’s good.

Trail Time

We headed off with Lucy in the lead. I mostly stuck by her side, though sometimes I wanted to peek ahead. There were so many new things!

  • Picnic tables: Lucy was nervous. I was like, “Looks like something to climb!”

  • Boardwalk: Everyone bet I’d walk across without fear. Spoiler: I trotted halfway down just for fun.

  • Trail runner: Looked like a friend to chase. My human clipped me back on before I could join him. Rude.

  • Boulders and downhills: Easy. I’ve got great feet. Thanks, farrier guy.

The Best Part

Then came the cantering. Oh wow. The humans asked if we could “move out.” Merlin and Lucy took off, and I tucked right in. My legs stretched, the wind rushed, and I thought, this is the best thing ever. Then I realized the hill was still going, and I thought, wow, this is also a lot of work. But I powered on anyway, because that’s what adventurers do.

Wrapping Up

Back at the trailer, they gave me “wet petting” with a sponge. At first I thought they’d lost their minds, but then I realized it felt nice. They also put a bareback pad on me. Whatever. I looked cute.

We finished the evening with grazing, poking, prodding, and people walking around like weirdos pretending to be scared of me. I sighed and rolled my eyes, but I stood still. Heroes have to be patient, after all.

Final Tally

Less than five miles, one hour and twenty minutes, and I conquered hills, rocks, picnic tables, sponging, and trailering home in the dark. All in a day’s work for a yearling adventurer.

— Chip 🐴












Comments