Banner. Buckle.
Once, Tevis lived on the far side of a map
a rumor of moonlit trail and canyon heat,
Cougar Rock like a dare written in granite,
No Hands Bridge floating over the river’s black breath.
A dream for other riders, richer riders, braver riders,
not the woman who prefers brakes.
But a gray named Lunar stepped out of dust,
and the ordinary calendar tore along its seam.
No Frills. Bare Bones. Old Dominion.
Top ten, and the talk turned from someday to now,
from wishes to plane tickets,
from what-ifs to rider number sixty-eight.
I packed small magic: a four-leaf clover
a bracelet that knew my wrist.
I packed larger fears:
planes falling; canyons tilting;
lions whose names the rock remembers.
We flew anyway.
And the trail unrolled like a long held breath.
Start line.
Rider’s Moon bright enough to stitch dust to pine.
Horses a river of heartbeat and heat.
I rode with my nerves in my pocket,
my hands low, my hopes high
Up through High Camp, over Emigrant Pass—
A mentor's voice tucked in my ear: turn and look.
Lake Tahoe: a ripple of cold fire.
Granite Chief watching.
Cougar Rock saying, Don’t think. go.
And we stood on the spine of the world, laughing like survivors.
Banner. Buckle.
Two words I kept quietly in the hum of my mind.
Robinson Flat. Cheers, water, hands,
the clean arithmetic of a stethoscope: fifty-two.
A rest. Barely. Then out again.
The road rose,
and the daylight turned its face,
and in one blink the world was a grid of rusted teeth.
Not a cliff, not the abyss with a name,
but an ordinary trap with extraordinary hunger.
Hooves searched for a bridge that didn't exist,
and time shattered into metal and prayer.
One leg caught; then the other; then the wild thrash.
I climbed down through terror,
put my breath against his neck,
my voice on repeat from afar
Easy… easy… whoa…
And the universe, fickle and kind,
chose mercy
He came free. Whole enough to stand.
Whole enough to walk.
Whole enough for the vet to say go home.
I walked back under a sky that knew too much,
crying iron and dust,
saying sorry to everyone
We did not cross Swinging Bridge.
We did not ford the American River in the dark.
But the Western States Trail whispered to me
and refused to leave.
That night the stadium roared for someone else.
I tried on defeat; it didn’t fit right.
Too tight in the chest.
Too loose in the spine.
People said Rider Option like a ribbon,
and I wore it like a bruise.
I blamed the pace, the trail, the luck,
my hands, my superstition,
the way a tree had fallen across our road at home.
I pinned and unpinned a thousand omens.
None of them held.
Here is what does:
The trail did not ask me to be fearless.
It asked me to be honest.
It asked whether I wanted the miles
more than the myth.
Whether I would trade winning for wonder,
Top Ten for a long look back from Watson’s Monument,
speed for the sound of my horse drinking.
Whether I could love the ride I got,
not the one I framed on the wall of my mind.
I think I can.
I think I will.
If the right horse finds me again
sure-footed, soft-mouthed, with room for my slow kind of brave
I’ll go west.
Not to conquer a rock,
but to chase a thought the trail planted in me:
ride your own ride.
Count the canyons by breath.
Hold the moon like a lantern
Keep two words close enough to warm you,
close enough to let go when it’s time:
Banner.
Buckle.
Comments
Post a Comment