Kaia and Booger

Sometimes the best stories aren’t the ones you plan. They’re the quiet, surprising moments when two souls meet and recognize something in each other.

At the start of the weekend, I never would have guessed how quickly Kaia and Booger would become friends. At first, I was cautious. Booger has a history of being less than hospitable toward dogs at home, and I warned Melissa to be careful when Kaia padded up to the pen. But instead of pinning her ears, Booger lowered her head, curious. Kaia, tail wagging, sat close by as if trying to win her over. Before long, the two of them were napping companionably next to each other. It was a tender moment. More than that, it was the start of something special.

That evening, when we saddled up for a short ride, Kaia trotted along in front of us. This was Booger’s first trail ride with a canine companion, and I wasn’t sure how she’d feel about it. As soon as I swung into the saddle, horse and dog touched noses like old friends greeting each other. 

We set off down Shanersburg, the ponies moving in a relaxed rhythm while we sipped our drinks and chatted in the fading light. Kaia went just ahead, bright-eyed and eager. Very quickly, Booger seemed to decide that the dog was the leader, and she followed Kaia’s path with quiet confidence, ears pricked to catch every subtle cue.

As the sun slipped away and the woods grew shadowed, our “quick spin” transformed into an accidental night ride. Darkness fell hard beneath the hemlocks, and the trail markers grew scarce. Emily became uneasy. The footing was tricky, and I was the only one with a headlamp. Somehow, I never felt lost. Kaia’s recall was sharp, her sense of direction uncanny. Booger tuned into her every movement. She knew when the dog was following the trail, and when she was merely pausing for a splash in a puddle.

It was like watching a Disney movie unfold in real time. The shepherd and the black mare moving as one, leading us surely through the rocks, the mud, and the looping trails. I loosened the reins, riding on the buckle, letting Booger make her choices. She never faltered. With Kaia as her compass, she carried me with a calm determination that made me trust her completely.

By the time camp came into view, Emily’s relief was palpable. The rest of us were buzzing with the kind of quiet magic you only feel when you’ve touched something rare and fleeting.

Later, after food and firelight and laughter, I checked on Booger one last time before bed. There she was, curled peacefully in her pen. And just beyond the fence, Kaia slept soundly at her side. Two unlikely companions, already inseparable.

That night, it felt like they had not just led us through the woods, but into the beginning of a lasting friendship.



Comments