Sturgeon Moon

 The halter slipped on as the field grew dim,
I followed her when she brought me in.
Eryca smiled, her hands were kind,
The night ahead not yet on my mind.

The sun sank low, the voices stirred,
Crickets sang and night birds whirred.
Humans whispered of beauty near,
I flicked my ears, content to hear.

A path was blocked, we turned aside,
Into the fields so silver wide.
The stars awoke, the moon climbed high,
Its cool light brushed across my hide.

The creek was glass, then broke in rings,
Each hoof-step cast a trail of wings.
Water danced and shimmered bright,
As if the moon had split its light.

They asked for more, I gave them speed,
A canter swift across the green.
Their laughter rose, so light, so clear,
I carried them, as they cheered.

I thought of hay, my truest song,
But felt their joy and went along.
A broodmare once, unseen, confined,
Now silver moon and stars are mine.

The world was still, the night was true,
And for a breath, I felt it too.



Comments